Friday, September 3, 2010

How is your language affecting your reality? A link to a great article.

Yes, I do believe there is an objective reality "out there." But you can't deny that each of lives in our own mental universe, made up of our understandings of people and things.  As the Hebrew scriptures tell us, "As one thinks, so one is."

If we will choose more positive language to describe people and situations, we will think, feel, and act more positively, especially in dealing with challenges. I'll confess I often forget to do this, but when I do speak and think more positively, it does change my feelings toward a person or situation. Even using the word "challenge" instead of "problem."  Advertisers and governments daily demonstrate that they do not underestimate the power of words to shape people's actions.

Along these lines, here's  a fascinating article,
not so much about speaking/thinking positively; but more generally about language shaping reality.  You'll read of research showing how different languages affect their speakers' mental realities, actions, and even ability to take dance lessons in another village.

Perhaps this article is a bit too far afield from the title of this blog, "Encouragement"?  I saw a tie-in from the language/reality angle, but if you think it's too far out, drop me a comment.  I'm still learning.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The most challenging: changing our "I have to's" to "I choose to..."